Friday, September 4, 2009

"Please allow me to introduce myself...


My name is Cornelius X. Carroll. That's me, on the left, laying on a sheet of glass cantilevered off the side of the Sear's Tower. I'm a senior at Rollins College and am an economics major. I'm originally from Chicago and hope to return there to attend graduate school at The University of Chicago. For as long as I can remember, I've been exposed to economic ideas through contact with my family and my family's friends.

I genuinely have a passion for economics. I love talking about it and I love sharing my ideas as well as hearing the ideas of others. My focus on economics, however, is rather recent. While I've always had a keen understanding of economic issues, mostly due to the tutelage of my father and grandfather, my obsession is rather recent. Up until my second year of undergraduate studies I was quite convinced that I would become some sort of an engineer.

Machines have fascinated me for as long as I can remember.  One of my great accomplishments in life thus far has been figuring out the workings of a car engine on my own at the age of six. I just love taking machines apart, seeing their inner-workings, and putting them back together. A couple of years ago it dawned on me that the global economy was the largest and most complex machine one could ever hope to deal with. Entrepreneurs, consumers, workers, and machines themselves all work and mesh together in the global economy to make modern civilized life what it is.

With this realization, I embarked on a journey in the pursuit of knowledge regarding the global economy and the economic principals that underpin it. This blog is one part of that journey. I intend to use this blog as a blank canvass to convey my insights, inquiries, and opinions regarding the economy and the financial markets. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to comment. Disagreement is allowed, even encouraged, but disrespect is unacceptable and will result in deletion.